Division of Continuing Education (Extension and Summer School) FAQ

Where can I get a g.harvard account?

You may opt into your g.harvard account via the HarvardKey interface: http://g.harvard.edu/extension-school-and-summer-school-faq/extension_opt_in

Can I change my account name from abc123@g.harvard.edu? I want it to be first_last@g.harvard.edu.

It is against Harvard University policy to change your account name. While it is technically possible to do so, by changing your account name you risk missing important communication from the University. We can only change the account name in extreme circumstances.

I already have an @fas email account. Do I have to change my email?

Yes, you do have to change your email address if you have a FAS UNIX email account. FAS UNIX was deprovisioned at the end of 2018.

Can I move my @fas email into my @g.harvard account?

Yes, it is advised that you move your @fas data to @g.harvard before your @fas account is retired. Follow the instructions here: http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=57920 to migrate all of your existing email into your @g.harvard account.

Can I still get an @fas email account?

No, FAS UNIX was deprovisioned at the end of 2018.

Do I get to keep my @g.harvard account forever?

No, after you graduate or after the last day of class for non-matriculated students, access and forwarding ends after 40 days.

If I take a leave from my Extension School studies will I have to create a new @g.harvard account?

In most cases, you will be able to have the same email address you used before your leave or gap.

My classmate shared a document with me in Google docs, but he's graduating. Will I still have access to our shared document?

It depends. Best practice is to share ownership of the document.

I have graduated do I still need to create an account in @alumni.harvard.edu to have a Harvard email address?

Yes, your @g.harvard account will be suspended after 40-days. We strongly recommend that you transfer any documents or email out of g.harvard if you are leaving the University.